This documentation is only applicable for the characters listed on this page.
- Drag a model file (i.e.
characterMedium.fbx) into the "Project" pane or add to your "Assets" project folder.
- In the import settings change "Animation Type" to "Humanoid".
- To be able to edit the material in some versions of Unity you will have to change the import settings for the model file; in the "Materials" tab select "Use External Materials (Legacy)" as location.
- Import one of the skins (i.e.
casualMaleA.png) and select it as the main texture for the character model material.
- Import one of the animations (i.e.
- In the import settings of the animation select "Humanoid" as "Animation Type" in the rig tab.
- In the animation tab you can optionally delete "Root|0.Targeting Pose" so it doesn't show up in the project anymore.
- In the animation tab change the following settings:
- Enable "Loop Time" for animations that should loop
- At "Root Transform Rotation" enable "Bake Into Pose" and set "Based Upon" to "Original"
- At "Root Transform Position (Y)" and "Root Transform Position (XZ)" enable "Bake Into Pose"
- In the "Project" pane right click and select "Create" and "Animator Controller" to create a new animation controller.
- Select the character model in the scene view and select the newly created controller in the "Animator" component.
- If you select the newly created animation controller you can add new animations in the "Animator" tab, see the Unity documentation. If needed make sure to enable "Foot IK" for each animation state.
- To make sure colors match with the colors used in skins make sure to disable "sRGB Albedo Colors" in the import settings ("Materials" tab)
- To import a character model drag it into the "Content Browser" and use the default import settings. Make sure the skeleton option is set to "None".
- To use included animations on a different model than
characterMedium.fbxplease see the Unreal Engine documentation for retargeting animations.
- To import a skin drag and drop it in the "Content Browser"
- Open the material you want to apply the skin to (default material name is "Skin")
- In the node editor add a new "TextureSample" node
- In the "TextureSample" node under "Material Expression Texture Base" set Texture to the desired skin
- Connect the "TextureSample" node to the materials "Base Color" node
- Always import the character model first (to create a skeleton)
- In the import settings for the animation make sure the character model skeleton is selected
- To import a model drag it into the "Content Browser" and use the default import settings
- To import a character model copy it to your project folder, make sure to use (and/or download) FBX2glTF when prompted
- To import a skin copy it to your project folder
- To import an accessory copy it to your project folder, make sure to use (and/or download) FBX2glTF when prompted
- Import the character model by clicking "Add Asset" in the "Assets" panel
- Import a skin texture, select the character model's material and set the skin texture as "Diffuse" channel
- Import an animation, add an "Animation" component to the character model and selected the imported animation clip.